Re: Searching for an assembly guru -- DART disk utility

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:09:05 -0600

Hi all,

One suggestion about reverse engineering the DART disk utility program is to contact the Apple authors and ask them for DART's source code. I ask why expend work that others have already done when you can more easily ask them for their work?

The DART authors are per https://wiki.68kmla.org/DART:

"Written by David Mutter and Ken McLeod, two software engineers working for Apple Computer, Inc., DART 1.0 was released in 1987. The final version – 1.5.3 – became available in September 1993 ... on the 22nd December 1997, was all together removed from Apple's support site"

David Mutter
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmutter
David Mutter Photography contact:

    http://www.davidmutterphoto.com/contact

I can't find a link for Ken McLeod, but found the following comment about DART from 1996 (ftp://ftp.uni-potsdam.de/pub/systems/mac/Disk-File/00disk-abstracts.txt):

"Thanks go to Ken McLeod for organizing to get Apple to release a library that decompresses DART files!"

There is also a Mac program called MUNGE IMAGE which handles DART images and the source is available on the internet (http://macgui.com/downloads/?file_id=17958).

Hope this helps.

===