Re: Lisa OS preemptive multitasking and protected memory: myth or reality?

From: Shirl <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:12:30 -0700

Hello Andrea,

As Ray Arachelian correctly stated, the the Lisa computer's hardware supported memory protection and the basis for multi-tasking via specialized circuitry (the Memory Management Unit [MMU]). But multi-tasking was non-pre-emptive meaning that an application ("tool" in Lisa parlance) had control of the CPU until it yielded control to other applications (the OS service routine which handled this was named YIELD_CPU). This was done since a pre-emptive architecture would have made the Lisa too slow and the Lisa designers wanted the front-most tool to have access to the majority of the machine resources (memory, cpu) it needed.