Re: Lisa Easter Eggs?

From: Des Hay <desmondlhay_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:33:39 +1100

HI Ray,

and everyone else,

Just a little story, well a ramble, you may be interested

I live in Tasmania, Australia, at the time about 1997 I was in high school, was into Apple computers at the time, had various models, Mac Classic, LCII, bought a 512k Mac, anyway...
Saw the Triumph of the Nerds series on TV, got me hooked on the idea of owning a Lisa.
At the same time, I did some work experience at the local Apple dealer in Tasmania, one of 2 in the state, talked to some of the tech guys there about Lisa's, they managed to look in their records, only 10 Lisa's were ever sold here, new.

Through friends of friends, pestering people continually one of them managed to find me one, it was a Lisa 2/10, with the internal hard drive. ROM H88, from memory, I think at the time I paid something like $200 Australian for it, don't know what the dollar to USD was worth then, that would be like $250USD today. well the screen was on the Fritz, all flickering, the Apple store was going to toss out all their new old stock Apple parts, so I managed to get a few video boards, power supplies etc.. etc... I was about 15,16 at the time, but managed with some guidance from a high school electronics teacher to discharge the CRT and change the board. I had to change the floppy too, but I pulled that from an Old mac. I remember it would only occasionally boot up, the hard drive must have been temperamental as well.

The sad part of my Lisa adventures however, around the same time, I used to visit a local tip, to scrounge for old computers, bits, and lug them home on foot. You can just picture some poor kid hauling Commodore PET's with drives, NorthStar Horizons, big old heavy computers home on foot. and once there was a Lisa 1 there, sitting in the scrap yard, with a tin of house paint poured all over it, all over the screen, the drives, etc....they wanted.......$3 for it.

Turned my nose up at it,

On reflection I'm sure parts out of it would be worth a few dollars more than that now.

With the prices Lisa 1's bring, could have been restored I guess.

Going to keep an eye out for another Lisa, and hopefully contribute more to the group.

thanks for listening.

Kind Regards
Des