Questions for IDEfile users

From: Al Kossow <aek_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:27:27 -0700

I built up a pair of IDEfile boards, and I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been with them. Do most people use them with 3.5" disk drives?

One initial warning I can give is they don't appear to work with Disk On Module (DOM) (a small flash drive with 40 pin IDE connector) nor with CF-IDE adapters (the CF device isn't even recognized)

It also appears to have problems with James' new BLU utility. I've only been able to get it to load BLU correctly on one 3.5" IDE drive partition on an IBM 120gb Deskstar

The odd thing is if a drive is recognized, I can partition it, and run BLU hard disk tests, and even copy a disk image to a partition without any reported errors. This is even true for the DOM, I just can't load BLU onto a DOM partition (it gets an error FFFF at location 8BD4).

The next thing I have to try is doing an install of something from floppies to see if that works.

I'm wondering how critical the interface timing is. There were a few R/C networks in the interface. Do they need to be tuned at all?