Re: lisa 2 startup problems

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 12:18:05 -0700

>The processor board is intact, connector is as new.

Even if they look great, the connectors probably need to be cleaned as they are 30 years old. The edge connectors on my Lisa cause problems every few months... usually just shifting the boards out/in solves the problem, but every year or two they need cleaning.

I would start with cleaning the board's edge connectors (using alcohol, and if necessary a soft pencil eraser, but being careful to not erase the gold), and then inserting/removing them a few times to "wipe" the contacts in the sockets.

It is easy to bend the card edge socket contacts, so I suggest not cleaning them manually unless you use great care.

If that doesn't work, it would save you a lot of time to locate another Lisa so you can swap boards and isolate the problem.

>What do you mean by: "Note that the COP will only turn on the
>power... if the power is already on" ?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear:

If the power is off and you press the power button, the COP will (try to) turn on the power.

If the power is on and you press the power button, the COP will pass a keyboard code to the 68K CPU. The COP doesn't turn off the power until the CPU tells it to.