Re: Sun MFM controller formatting

From: Diogenes45 <helmut_post_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 05:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

the communication between the Sun MFM controller and a Mac or a PC (or the Lisa) is not very complicated.
There is a connector P1 which has only 3 cables: Ground, TXD, RXD. You cant't do many mistakes - if you do, the communication simply won't work.
I used my Mac IIci with Microphone II (VT100 Terminal emulation or Smart emulation) for the communication.
Even if it's very interesting, you can't do many things, because the firmware is very buggy and the format routines are unfinished. You can't format your hard disk using these routines. I have tried it several times and contacted SunRem- they have confirmed this problem. SunRem used a different method to format the hard disk (perhaps a different LLF EPROM)

Helmut