Re: Apple releasing Lisa source?

From: Shirl Casner <shirlgato_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 21:47:51 -0700

Hi

Just checking if anyone knows and can mention the status of Apple releasing Lisa source code via the Computer History Museum (CHM)?

What type of sources are being discussed?

   o Office System shell (Lisa "Finder")    o Office System tools (e.g. LisaWrite)    o Office system "desk accessories" (e.g. Clock)    o Lisa Desktop Libraries (e.g. Menu unit)    o Development tools (e.g. Monitor, Workshop)    o Boot ROM (I have the source for this)    o Test programs (LisaTest)
   o ToolKit (I have the source for this)    o SANE (Standard Apple Numeric Environment - I have the Mac SANE sources)

Hopefully, Apple has these sources in a readable fashion. I suspect paper listings do not exist, but instead there are floppies (3.5" most likely) or hard drives (10 MB Widget?) with the sources. I know from a former Lisa team member that the sources were archived, but that correspondence was in the 1990s.

Also, I have a copy of the LISA PROGRAMMER'S HANDBOOK. This was Apple's internal collection of memos describing the Lisa s/w architecture for use by the Lisa programmers. One could consider this to be similar to Apple's later "Inside Macintosh" documentation. I have scanned 24 of these documents, there are around 100 of these documents if I'm recalling correctly. If interested, just email and ask and I will email you what I have scanned so far. Sample documents are UI Standards (1980), Filer ERS (1981 - this is the "100 words Finder specification), Alert Manager (1982-1983), Office System Performance (1982).

Can also send the Lisa sources I have -- Boot ROM, ToolKit.

Also have several Lisa organization charts which list the various Lisa team members and their groups.

I hope the Computer History Museum (CHM) can also obtain all the Lisa ERS (eternal reference specification) documents. There were a lot of these. Suspect only the programmers have these now. I don't know what Apple kept in terms of programming design documentation, but suspect minimal.

===