Re: Modern replacement power supplies for Apple ProFile hard drive?

From: Bryan Villados <groink1_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:49:40 -1000

Sorry for the posting flood. I'm basically using this list as a vehicle to think the process through, and maybe one of you can catch a mistake before I do something really stupid.

With that, I found out in the ProFile service manual that the AC signal is actually a POWER OK signal.

"The supply also contains monitoring circuitry to detect a power failure. This monitoring circuitry senses a power failure before the internal DC voltages drop. If a power failure should occur the monitoring circuitry uses a signal called POWER OK (POK) to reset the Z8 on the controller board. This allows the intelligent controller in the ProFile to prevent any data loss if the power fails or is turned off accidentally. The system will not begin any operation until the power is on for at least one second. Once a failure is detected, the head current is shut off to prevent the accidental writing of false data that would otherwise occur if a write operation were to process when the power failed. The power supply is completely shielded to eliminate the effects of electro magnetic radiation."

So, with that behind me, I Googled around to see exactly what kind of signal POK provides. Fortunately, AT and ATX power supplies provide a "power good" signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

According to the Wikipedia article, the signal is basically +5V DC. I'm thinking then why can't I just connect the AC line to the +5V DC? The only reason I can think of not doing this is that, according to the Wikipedia article, a controller will wait until the power supply reaches capacity before it starts to run the processor. So, an AT or ATX power supply is designed to send the +5V DC POK signal ONLY after up to 0.5 seconds or whenever the power supply is running at 100-percent. In other words, if I connected the AC line directly to the +5 DC, it won't have the 0.5 sec delay, and I'm risking the hard drive from shutting down too soon.

In a nutshell, I won't be able to use the 50W power supply after all. I'll need to continue searching for an AT power supply that is small enough to fit into the original power supply chassis. I'm learning quite a bit about power supplies in such a short period of time!