Re: Damaged? ProFile Drive Motor

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:30:26 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:18:29 AM UTC-5, Tom Frikker wrote:

> Thank you all for the detailed replies! To clarify:
> The black dust was located around the graphite spindle, as suggested
> above. I have since cleaned it all off.
> I have opened the drive and seen the platters: they seem perfectly clean
> with no scratches. I promptly put the cover back on (I don't wanna screw
> THAT up at least).

NEVER open the sealed portion of a hard disk unless you have the proper tools, atire and a Class 1 clean-room to work in! Whether or not it kills the drive instantly, you have certainly contaminated the internals with a large number of particles that can cause permanent damage. If you have any data on there that you care about, get it off quickly. I don't want to be the bringer of bad tidings, but that drive's days are now surely numbered.

> Interesting thing happened last night: I was powering on the ProFile last
> night to check the time until startup (1:23, by the way). When I turned it
> on again after that, thick white smoke started to pour out of the power
> supply. I promptly shut everything off, unplugged everything, and took the
> cover off the PSU. There is a small, flat capacitor (I think) near the edge
> of the board near the power cord attachment. This component says 0.1uf on
> the top, and upon further inspection, the whole side of it had been blown
> off (the whole thing now smells terrible, like something had been burned).
> Does anyone know what this component is, and if so, where I can buy a
> replacement? As long as I can get the part, I can re-solder it and
> everything.

That's the so-called "X2" line capacitor, perhaps the most common failure item on classic computer power supplies. It's getting so I clip that part out immediately before powering up a new "old" unit on the bench. Others may have varying opinions, but I generally don't bother replacing them and have not had any issues as a result. I believe they are intended to cut down on potential coupling of switching noise into the AC mains. They sure do stink when they go!