Re: BLU on a 2/10: RX but no TX?

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 19:27:31 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, James. I will have to examine this later. In the meantime, I was able to bootstrap BLU on my Lisa 1, where the serial port appears to be working.

Here is an image of a ProFile with Office System 1.0 installed. The drive reported no bad sectors, and the transfer was problem-free.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_fWRp3VVS4QXNoVmo1UmE4ZkU/edit?usp=sharing

That said, I haven't checked the contents of this file.

For future people searching this list:

  1. The xmodem utility supplied with Minicom (a Telix clone for Linux etc.) shows an error on the last block of a transfer. I haven't checked to see whether the bytes it does manage to download are copied successfully, since I switched instead to using TeraTerm on Windows, which appears to work fine (although you have to remember to select 1K in the xmodem download dialog).
  2. With an x-acto knife and patience, it is not very hard to make Twiggy diskettes from 1.2 MB high density 5.25" diskettes.

Thanks very much for BLU. I am extremely happy to have backed up this ProFile at last. Getting started on the Twiggys will be the next step. Regrettably, I don't think my LOS 1.0 system disk 1 master is readable these days, but others may be.

First, though, it will be necessary to redo the keyboard pads. Typing on the PCB with a homemade stylus is a drag. There is also a little bit of corrosion on the I/O board which, while limited in extent, should be nipped in the bud. I am a bit hesitant to work on the board since everything seems to work, but I understand that the corrosion will progress unless it is dealt with.

--Tom