Re: Lisa not powering up

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 04:23:31 -0800 (PST)

Tom,

I inherited a Lisa 2/5 several years ago with severe battery leak damage. After trying a number of less thorough methods to clear the corrosion, I finally ended up soaking the motherboard, I/O board and CPU board in white vinegar for a day. That cleaned things up to an amazing degree, bringing the shine back to the motherboard edge connectors and rear-panel connectors. You mentioned doing some cleaning, but have you tried full immersion?

In my case, the edge connectors in the case that engage the card frame were beyond salvage and I replaced the harnesses outright with a NOS assembly found on eBay. This brought things back to snuff and the unit is still running reliably.

In a second system from the same deal I ended up finding an open trace on the motherboard. It looked fine on visual inspection, so don't rely on that. As Tom(moni) said, this is very tedious to check and not made any easier by the lack of accurate schematics! Take the motherboard schematic with a grain of a salt and use your own judgement :-). It's a bit of a puzzle getting these old units operational, but due to the relatively crude technology it's almost always possible. Thirty years from now we will not be producing similar miracles from todays 8-layer PCBs and high-integration chipsets!