Re: What can be done to preserve a working vintage HDD?

From: compu_85 <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:47:07 -0800 (PST)

I did some more looking. Here's a copy of the OEM ST-506 / 412 Manual:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/seagate/ST412_OEMmanual_Apr82.pdf

The diagram on page 11 is interesting. I've attached a copy. It looks like one should be able to get oil down past the motor and into the bearing. James sent me a link to a site where some people had used WD40 for this, however I'll go with a better lubricant... probably Schaeffer's Penetro 90.

Once I get a defective disk to test on I'll liberally apply the P90 and ensure it doesn't leak through the bearing in to the drive, and doesn't harm the motor electronics in any way - I imagine some penetrants could dissolve the enamel on motor windings.

Thanks,

-J