Re: Anyone have any spare ProFiles or working internal disks for a ProFile?

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 06:45:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 8:19:03 AM UTC-4, James Longinotti wrote:

> I have a Lisa that has come into a bad situation. I was low-level
> formatting the profile disk, and about an hour into the format, there was a
> loud pop and screech. one of the drive heads popped off the disk and
> destroyed the platters- I’m still in shock.
>
> The X/Profile is a bit out of my price range right now and I'm just trying
> to figure something out.
> I'm hoping someone here upgraded to an X but still had a working ST-506
> around.

Hi, James.

Unfortunately the Profile does not use a conventional ST-506 mechanism. Patrick Schaefer is the expert on this, but if I recall the details correctly the Profile has a stepper with 2x the resolution of a true ST-506. In other words, it issues two pulses for each track increment. I have had limited success with ST-412 mechanisms as a replacement but hesitate to recommend this solution. It is theoretically possible to hack the Profile firmware to issue only a single step pulse on track change but I do not know if anyone has done this.

If you aren't in a position to spring for an X-Profile you may want to consider building one of Patrick's IDE File units. I have one that I share between a Lisa 2/5 and an Apple ///+ and can highly recommend the unit.