Re: Floppy disk bootloader, now with Twiggy support

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 06:55:40 -0800 (PST)

I think it would be pretty easy to make a universal version of the bootloader for floppies, at least where "universal" means "Twiggy or Sony"---you just need to use the ROM ID to select the track table and values for the kDdZzMask, kNextDrEor, and kTrk0Sects constants. How you would tell a 400k Sony drive from an 800k drive is beyond me, though.

The bootloader should already be multi-disk for Twiggy systems, where "multi" means "two" and where both disks are already sitting in the drives. But I haven't actually tried this. I suppose it could be "multi" "disk" for Sony systems too, if you were using a Floppy Emu-like device that could change sector and tag data on the fly. But that's a little silly.

I'm not sure I'm going anywhere in particular with the bootloader---although originally created it to boot NeoWidEx, it's mainly an idle pasttime now. The Twiggy support was for another little program I've written, but even that program fits inside 512 bytes, so no bootloader was really necessary.

I've now updated the Python program
<https://github.com/stpltn/bootloader/blob/master/dc42_build_bootable_disk.py> in the archive to include built-in copies of the bootloaders, so the program should be everything you need to make a bootable disk image. This new version also allows you to create "truncated" .dc42 files, like the one used for BLU, at least for 400k and Twiggy disks. This can really save on the amount of time you spend transferring and writing disk images, but it also seems that these truncated images are not compatible with LisaEm!

That said, it seems like truncated images work on my Lisas, either via Floppy Emu or via loading and writing a disk image with BLU.

--Tom