Re: Office System .DC42 images?

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 12:00:26 -0500

Re: Images on Archive.org: This was the one place I hadn't looked. Those images work properly! Thanks for the pointer!

Something is wrong with the floppy rotation speed control on my 2/5... at some of the speeds it has trouble locking in. By ear I can heard the drive hunting, then it will lock in and work fine. I swapped the board on the bottom of the drive with no change. Could this be a problem with the Lite adapter? It's inconsistent how long the drive hunts before locking into the correct speed.

Re: CRT. The wonderful world of FleeBay. Most 12" mono CRTs are electrically compatible. I did some looking for "12" CRT" and came up with some good results... the first one I tried to buy ($40 shipped) got broken as the seller was packing it. The one I installed is try #2 ($60 shipped). It's a P4 phosphor instead of the original P7... and I think the P4 works better. Mac CRTs are P4. The new CRT has a matte finish too, so it reduces reflections well without needing the brightness robbing glare filter. It was made in USA in 1998. Here's the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/302513021798

I'm guessing Tom watched my YouTube videos related to this :) Here's a 20 minute, nearly real time video of swapping the CRTs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oauo8NQYomo And a shorter video comparing the P7 (short white, long green persistence) CRT to the P4 (short white only):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Vf-80LvqU

I was amazed when swapping the CRT I didn't need to touch any of the adjustments on the video board. They're actually all still factory glued! What you see in the video is all the setup I needed to do: Just rotate the yoke.

Re: gentlemen: Ah, fair enough! An easy mindset to slip into when dealing with the vintage tech crowd over text... I'm certainly not wanting to exclude anyone from offering help before I pull my remaining hair out :)

Thanks,

-J

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> BLU has code that checks the integrity of .dc42 files that you upload to
> it, so you could always find out whether you have a good .dc42 file by
> letting BLU be the judge. It will tell you right after the upload completes.
>
> If your images are something else... googling "lisa office system disk
> images" turns up a bunch of files on archive.org, also without file
> extensions. I downloaded one of them and looked at it in a hex dump---it
> seemed very much like a .dc42 file to me.
>
> Now, where did *you* get your replacement CRT?
>
> Finally, not everyone on this mailing list is in "gentlemen". Consider one
> of our resident disk image experts...
>
> --Tom
>

> On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 9:02:44 PM UTC, compu_85 wrote:
>>
>> Ok gentlemen, I'm really scratching my head here...
>>
>> I'm finishing setting up my new-to-me 2/5, but can't find .dc42 images of
>> the 7/7 applications. Weren't these on bitsavers at one point? All I see
>> now are Twiggy images.
>>
>> I last wrote these disks over 10 years ago. I looked through my file
>> archives and found images I had downloaded from MacMothership... they're
>> still available, and don't have any extension. Perhaps these are raw files?
>> I recall writing the disks with a Mac Quadra that's now long gone...
>>
>> I write all my disk images now with BLU. Does anyone have a suggestion
>> where I should look for 7/7 application masters in DC42 format?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Jason Perkins
>> 313 355 0085 <(313)%20355-0085>

> group/lisalist
> ---
> "LisaList" group.
> email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_googlegroups.com.

Jason Perkins
313 355 0085