Re: 4k Z8 microcontrollers for 10 meg profile formatting

From: Jason Perkins <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 10:38:37 +0000

Tom - Thanks for jogging my memory. I tried to send you some $$ and you refused.... Enough time had passed my memory was fuzzy :S

If I put the RW rom back in the disk it does seem to function, however the device name is all ?? ?? ?? ?? blocks. It also has the wrong number of blocks, more than 2600, so the BLU read write test goes past the end of the disk.

I haven’t tried formatting it in the office system, I’ll see what happens.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 6:22 AM Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> just for the record, I didn't sell anybody a Z8 :-)
>
> I sent one to Jason for free, with the idea that the Lisa community ought
> to have a few of these things floating around, shared among us as needed.
>
> I still have several more Z8s and will ship to others who require them,
> but in general I hope we might try to share unusual parts that we use for
> diagnostics and service from time to time. I guess they aren't making any
> more of them. You can see a similar thing in that excellent YouTube video
> series where curiousmarc et al. repair a Xerox Alto
> <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-_93BVApb58I3ZV67LW3S_JEMFnDrQDj>---they
> borrow components from the Living Computer Museum in Seattle to help guide
> their repair.
>
> Call me silly or crazy but I think we can do it...
>
> (and well, okay, maybe they still make Z8s
> <https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/embedded-microcontrollers/685?k=z8+microcontroller&k=&pkeyword=z8+microcontroller&pv1989=0&FV=fffc010d%2Cffe002ad%2C7e80041&quantity=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25>
> :-)
>
> --Tom
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 5:45 PM, compu_85 <perkins.jason_at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:
>
>> Tom was kind enough to sell me one of the piggyback Z8 chips, and I
>> tracked down some 4k EPROMs. Time for some adventures with Profile
>> formatting!
>>
>> Here's what I've got:
>>
>> - Lisa 2/5, 2/10, 2 port card
>> - BLU 0.90
>> - Piggyback 4k Z8, M2732A EPROMs
>> - TL866A USB programmer
>> - 2x working 5M Profile assys
>> - 1x working 10M Profile assy
>> - 1x non working Profile assy (used with an Apple ///, was able to
>> extract an image, has many bad sectors)
>> - 1x PC Seagate ST506 mechanism (unknown condition, but quiet
>> bearings. An early mechanism, from 1982)
>>
>> Here's what I tried:
>>
>> - Wrote the 2k 5mb profile formatting .BIN file from Patrick's
>> archive(found here:
>> http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/apple/disk/profile/firmware/
>> ) to the EPROM. I copied all the data from x0000 to x07FF and pasted it at
>> x0800, which filled to x0FFF
>> - Installed on the socketed Z8. Upon power up the head seeks to track
>> 0
>> - Attempted low level format in BLU. The LLF proceeds normally.
>> - After removing the jumper when prompted, the spare table scan
>> starts.
>> - When the spare scan gets to the last track, it bombs out with
>> status 00000003, 00000002, or 00000001.
>> - Using the built in port on the 2/5 and a port on the 2 port card in
>> the 2/5 didn't make a change
>> - Swapping the disk mechanism into a known working 5M Profile didn't
>> make a change
>> - Using the PC disk mechanism - which had the same part number
>> stepper motor as the Apple disk mechanism - gave the same results
> [...]

Jason Perkins 313 355 0085 Sent from my iPhone