Re: The Lisa - It Works the Way You Do

From: Tom Stepleton <stepleton_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 16:58:19 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for sharing this video, Ray! Kudos on having a VCR in working order :-)

I was especially interested in one bit of screen detail that the video shows.

I've been interested in an unusual video artifact that I've always noticed on my Lisas. Ordinarily, the video looks pretty good, but sometimes it looks like the display can be affected when certain video patterns (like scroll bars) appear all the way over on the right-hand side of the screen. It seems like it can throw off the timing of where pixels appear horizontally on the screen.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean. In all of these, ignore the dark diagonal bands---those are the fault of my phone's camera.

  1. This is an ordinary scroll bar: https://photos.app.goo.gl/58pYP5wSfC0bjAn62
  2. This is what happens when you move it to the right-hand side of the screen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hnTu1ZCieGDHYTs22
  3. All screen rows where the scroll bar touches the right screen edge show a "vertical jitter": https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ALhMXvvr9eXYYKi2

In fact, the striping you see in the scroll bar in picture 2 is just another side-effect of the vertical jitter.

Both of my (recapped) Lisas do this, and so does one that belongs to a friend. I wondered whether the problem had to do with some other components getting old. But now, look at this video close-up

https://youtu.be/vZnI5Ci06OY?t=8m39s

It kinda looks like the 1983 Lisa has the same scroll bar striping that you see in my second picture. Maybe this was always a problem? Their Lisa: it distorts video the way mine do.

Do other people's Lisas do this?

Anyway, pretty classic "there's got to be a better way!!' style ad video. Kinda looked to me like Mark was the junior partner, though! Hang in there, Mark, someday you'll get an office with a window too...

--Tom