The Lisa - It Works the Way You Do

From: Ray Arachelian <ray.arachelian_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:17:35 -0400

I just uploaded this 12 minute Lisa informercial here: https://youtu.be/vZnI5Ci06OY

There is a similarly titled brochure on bitsavers/archive.org:

This is similar to other Lisa commercials on youtube like these:

Unlike the above vids, this one feels much earlier, and rough around the edge, as if it were a beta.  There's lot of technical jargon such as using "elevator" for the scroll bar box, documents getting hidden behind other document windows, and ProFile as a file cabinet...

There's even flying yellow Lisa icons that magically transform into a Lisa on a desk...

I'm not sure if this video was actually released.

I'm curious if anyone here has any knowledge about the history/background of this video.

The story goes like this:

There are two agencies trying to make proposals, one does the old fashioned way, the other by using the Lisa.

In the process, a skeptical/tech phobic exec, Mark, gets schooled by his brilliant assistant on how to achieve great things with the Lisa 1 on his desktop and she helps him through multiple apps including a spreadsheet he's scared of using...

Of course the Lisa using team wins the bid, while the other guys who were fumbling with actual cutting and pasting using scissors and tape, and a triangle and white out lose out.

There's quite a lot of skeumorphism at use there.  Sort of like really old scifi movies where they try to explain everything to people used to a horse and buggy level of technology. :-D

There's some lame silliness at the end with a Bogart line, a failed attempt at humor, maybe.

Not sure if BVI existed in the 1980s but the document is called VBI or maybe it's aimed at some other Ad agency.

I'm not sure what the actual history of this video is.  I found this VHS tape on ebay and while the price was insane, after looking a bunch of times on youtube and couldn't find the same video, I decided to risk buying it, and sure enough it is a totally new thing.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it. :)