Perhaps it may be time to plan for 3D printer Lisa cases?

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 21:58:02 -0400

Saw this the other day:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/science/plastics-preservation-getty.html

While so far neither of my Lisa's cases have been damaged, I think it would be good idea to at least build open source 3D models of the case skins in Blender or Cura, etc. (and possibly a Lisa 1 faceplate replica) that could then be 3D printed as needed. The Apple logo might be problematic due to copyright/trademark issues, but perhaps two versions could be built, one with the logo and one without, so depending on the location of the person printing, they could pick the one for their need.

There were/are 3D printed replacement gears for the eject mechanism of 400/800K floppies that have failed, so certainly we have seen some of the plastics used in our machines.
i.e.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/M84R343FR/4-x-gears-for-macintosh-512k-vintage-floppy-drive

Certainly PLA isn't anywhere near as good as whatever injection molding Apple used to build the Lisa case panels, and home sized 3D printers won't be able to produce the large sizes required, but perhaps we can find some 3D printing house that can reproduce them. maybe even from other materials such as carbon fiber, copper PLA, etc. which could then be painted to the proper shade of platinum and avoid worries of yellowing.

Thoughts?

As a side note does anyone know what color a Lisa should really be? What did an actual Lisa look like out of the box when it first came out? I see some advertising material where it's near platinum and others where it's a bit more yellow?
For example, this Lisa 1 ad is pretty yellowed: http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/Apple/Apple.Lisa.1983.102634506.fc.lg.jpg as is this one:
https://www.macobserver.com/images/news/2001/20010214lisa/outside_thumb.jpg?x53324 But then, this Byte cover shows a platinum one: http://www.vintagecomputer.net/apple/lisa/thm_byte_feb-83_cover.jpg

You received this message because you are a member of the LisaList group. The group FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/lisa.html To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To leave this group, send email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist ---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. Received on 2018-09-05 22:06:59