Email Nazis

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:37:51 -0500

Censorware is everywhere. The thought police filter Web sites and even email. The following was posted to SuperMacs, but I know members of other lists sometimes see the same kind of thing.

Note that these messages are generated by some recipient's mail server, not by the list server. Low End Mac asks you be reasonable in your postings, on rare occasion blocks someone from a list, but does not engage in list censorship.

>What in the world is this? I reply to a Supermacs question and a computer
>censors me. I'm wondering now what the "sensitive content" may be.
>
>Ramil
>----------
>> From: System Attendant <MADISON-SA_at_email.domain.hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:40:21 -0500
>> Subject: ScanMail Message: To Sender, sensitive content found and action =
>> Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.
>> Place =3D supermacs_at_email.domain.hidden; ; ; supermacs_at_email.domain.hidden
>> Subject =3D Re: [SM] Hard drive for c600
>> Delivery Time =3D November 02, 2000 (Thursday) 18:40:20
>> Policy =3D Sexual Discrimination
>> Action on this mail =3D Quarantine message
>> Warning message from administrator:
>> Sender, Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail.

The offending phrase? "Is this going to make it a bitch to migrate my files...."

Definitely sexual discrimination, wouldn't you say?

Of course, we live in the age when "Dick" Cheney's Web site is blocked because he doesn't go by "Richard." And a lawyer was forbidden an email account because her last name was "Babcock."

Ridiculous, but that's the age we live in.

Should you receive a bounce message like this, the only thing you can do about it is send a note to <postmaster_at_email.domain.hidden> to bitch, er, gripe about their asinine censorware. ;-)

Dan the listmom

Dan Knight                                  dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
 publisher, Low End Mac                    <http://lowendmac.com/>

 Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

Host your mailing list for free at Maclaunch http://www.maclaunch.com/forms/list.shtml - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.  Send list messages to <lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden>  To unsubscribe, send email to: <lisalist-off_at_email.domain.hidden>  To switch to digest mode, send email to <lisalist-digest_at_email.domain.hidden>  Email subscription questions to <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>  List archive at <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/> Received on 2000-11-02 18:46:42