Re: Profile emulation on a PC or Mac

From: James MacPhail <uo957_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:50:47 -0800

Hi John et al,

>There was someone trying to interface a Lisa to a PC
>http://www.cs.swarthmore.edu/~tom/cs23/final/
>Anyone know what happened to the project, or are there others who have done
>this?

The web page implies that Tom Stepleton is planning to finish the project "during the summer", but the last time I had email from him was April, so I imagine he was distracted with other things.

As suggested by the web page, Paul Capes and I successfully developed an ISA board and software to emulate a ProFile. Although we did not bring it to market, we both ran prototypes for quite a while and they worked just fine.

The page also states that I requested the information that I provided not be distributed; in fact I would be pleased to provide it to others, but ask that the software not be re-distributed without our permission. As far as I know, the reverse-engineered protocol and hardware design is still freely available on CompuServe. I was recently thinking of taking it off CIS and putting it on a web page to make it more accessible.

Although I believe the ISA version will still work, I would certainly applaud and assist an effort to make an easy to build version that used the parallel port.

James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>