Notes from Mom

From: Dan Knight <dknight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:20:49 -0500

It's Thanksgiving Day here in the states. The turkey smells great, as does the rest of my wife's cooking. The kids are being quiet. The in-laws aren't due for a bit.

I'm thankful for the Mac, the most stable, easiest to use family of computers on the market.

I'm thankful for these lists and the subscribers who are creating friendly, helpful communities day by day.

I'm thankful that flame wars and long-winded off topic discussions are relatively rare on the lists.

REMINDERS All the information you need to post to the list, be taken off the list, or switch mode is included with every message (at the bottom in feed mode) and every digest (below the index). It's also on the FAQ for each specific list -- the URL for that is also included with each message and index.

Don't send unsubscribe notices to the list. Don't send them to me unless you've tried the automated process and it has failed. Do send other subscription-related questions to <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden> (as also noted in each message and digest) -- messages sent to any other email address may not be dealt with as promptly. I get a whole lot of email, but I do try to go through the listmom account each day.

These are unmoderated lists, so off topic conversations and flame wars can happen without my knowledge. I get each list in digest mode and read them most days in the late afternoon or early evening. (I have a job during the day.) I may not know what's happening until then. Please report any flame wars, spam, too far OT discussions, etc. to <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>.

Try to keep the language and postings family friendly. Not only are dozens or hundreds reading these postings, but they are also archived (for a couple months on average) on the Web where anyone can read them.

Normal behavior for all lists *except the LEM-Swap list* is that hitting Reply sends your response to the entire list. If/when you wish to correspond with an individual, you must readdress your message.

Don't reply to a digest without changing the subject to match that of the individual message you are responding to. The list server will bounce "re: Digest" messages. (Besides, those who get individual messages have no idea what's in any specific digest.)

Never quote the entire original message (or digest!) back to the list. If you do, I'll send you a reminder not to do so. If you keep doing it over and over, I may block you from posting until you promise to be more careful. Know how to work with your email program and quote selectively in your replies.

Remember that these are not American Mac user lists. Just as the Macintosh is a worldwide computer phenomenon, so these lists are received by those who speak and/or write English all around the world. Be patient with those whose English is a bit rough -- it may be their second or third language. (For those more comfortable in other languages, please be sure to use English when posting here. A lot of us Yanks are monolingual and get lost with Dutch, French, etc.)

Overall, in the words of the illustrious Bill and Ted, "Be excellent to each other."

Thanks!

Dan the listmom

Dan Knight                                  dknight_at_email.domain.hidden
 publisher, Low End Mac                    <http://lowendmac.com/>

 Unix for stability. Macs for productivity. Windows for solitaire.

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \