Lisa computer retrospective - Part 2 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:25:13 -0700

> THE APPLE LISA COMPUTER: A RETROSPECTIVE
>
> PART 2 OF 7
>
> Apple supplied three different printers for Lisa, all capable of
> printing exactly what the user saw on the screen. The dot-matrix
> printer could print both high-resolution text and graphics. The
> daisy-wheel printer was unique in that it could also print
> graphics, though the ribbon was used up very quickly for this
> task. Later in the Lisa's life Canon provided a color inkjet
> printer for it. Apple appears to have had plans to support a
> laser printer with the Lisa, but these plans were abandoned,
> although Apple did have a $30,000 in-house laser printer which
> was used by the Lisa developers.
>
> Apple's internal software development centered around the Lisa
> Monitor environment, which was text-based, and resembled the
> environments Apple provided for its Apple II and Apple III
> computer systems. The majority of Lisa programs were written in
> the Pascal language by Apple, except for a few written in 68000
> assembler. A COBOL and a BASIC were also available. To give an
> idea of the size of this effort: The Lisa operating system
> source contained about 90,000 lines of Pascal, and the Office
> System applications contained approximately 50,000 lines each.
> The programmers used a wonderful window- and mouse-based editor
> called LisaEdit. Outside developers were offered a development
> kit called the Lisa Workshop, a descendant of the Lisa Monitor
> environment. With the Workshop a programmer could develop rather
> sophisticated programs, primarily in Pascal.
>
> A major software development effort by Apple focused on the Lisa
> Desktop Libraries, a collection of about 100 software modules
> which provided the software foundation for Lisa Technology.
> These modules were used by all Lisa programs and were the
> mainstay of the Lisa's consistent user interface. A key
> component of the Desktop Libraries was QuickDraw, a fast and
> versatile graphics module written in around 40,000 lines of
> 68000 assembly language.
>
> During the Lisa's rather short life, very few programs were
> written for it by outside developers who could exploit its
> revolutionary user interface. The main reason for this was the
> lack of any fairly simple development environment that would
> allow outside developers to write "Lisa-like" programs without a
> tremendous amount of technical knowledge. After Apple developed
> the major Lisa programs, they attempted to develop a universal
> "framework" for programming called the Lisa ToolKit; but
> development of this, though basically finished, was halted when
> Apple withdrew resources from Lisa software development to
> accelerate Macintosh development. Apple had also not documented
> fully, nor designed in an easily understandable fashion, the
> code which formed the basis for the software component of Lisa
> Technology. Finally, third-party developers hesitated to commit
> to the Lisa given its high perceived price and its low sales
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>