Lisa computer retrospective - Part 3 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:26:05 -0700

> THE APPLE LISA COMPUTER: A RETROSPECTIVE
>
> PART 3 OF 7
>
> LISA TECHNOLOGY
>
> The Lisa has proven to be one of the most underrated personal
> computer systems in the industry's history. When Apple
> introduced the Lisa in 1983, very few people seemed to
> understand the revolutionary concepts implicit in its design. In
> retrospect, we can say that Apple itself shared this lack of
> understanding.
>
> Apple's revolutionary "Lisa Technology" combined tight
> integration of hardware and software with a simple design goal:
> to make the computer as easy to use as possible, without
> sacrificing power that would enable the user to accomplish
> significant computing tasks. In Apple's words, Lisa Technology
> was based upon "the extensive use of graphics, consistent user
> interface, and pointing device (the 'mouse') which together
> emulate the way an individual works in the office".
>
> To quote one of Apple's Lisa documents, the Lisa hardware and
> software combination "must be seen to be believed;" but in fact
> it must be used, extensively, before it can be appreciated.
> Discussing Lisa's important differences will only bring on
> skepticism; demonstrating the system is some help, but often not
> a lot. The non-Lisa user meeting a Lisa for the first time will
> perennially ask, "Can something that looks so gimmicky really do
> serious work?" But I think that most people who spend several
> hours with a Lisa accomplishing something real -- aside from
> those few who have tried it and really don't like it -- will
> come away with positive conclusions about the Lisa's value, or
> at least the value of its technology.
>
> One effective presentation tool used by Apple for Lisa customers
> was the Lisa Concept Pyramid. The apex of this pyramid
> represented the solutions required by the target customer, the
> information professional, who was called a "knowledge worker" by
> Apple). The generic applications are all tools which can be used
> by almost anyone.
>
> The middle layer of the pyramid represented the underlying
> technology of a truly "easy to use" system. The prototype of
> this technology was created within Xerox PARC, but Apple's
> refinement of it consumed the bulk of Lisa's 200-man-year
> development effort. Many contributions by Apple were
> enhancements of integration and of the user interface; keys to
> that accomplishment included the one-button mouse and its driver
> software. Another cornerstone is Visual Fidelity, or the
> correlation between screen image and printed output now referred
> to as "WYSIWYG."
>
> The bottom layer is the foundation for the layers above. The
> major design issues were all dictated by the needs of the
> software, rather than the traditional domination of the design
> by hardware. (4) The Lisa operating system needed to be multi-
> tasking, to allow multiple programs to co-exist on the screen.
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>