Re: Lisa Programming Info 1 of 2

From: Larry Rosenstein <lrosenstein_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:48:02 -0800

At 4:28 PM -0700 1/5/01, David Craig wrote:
> > language. There was another later Lisa Pascal compiler that Apple created
>> for MacApp work in 1985-86 which I believe was version 4. This compiler I >> believe only generated Mac object code, not Lisa object code, so it would

I don't remember for sure, but this sounds plausible.

> > document naming service. The Lisa's low-level FS supported names that
>> could be up to 31 characters long and could not contain a "-" which was

Also there were no folders in the original Lisa file system. The desktop manager, therefore, had to fake them, much as the Mac Finder did before HFS was developed.

> > the window-based visuals such as the scrollbar arrows were in a font. The
> > Lisa did not have resources that the Mac had (the file system's "disk

Lisa files did not have a resource fork, but there was a mechanism for separating the localizable strings, etc. from the application code.

--
Larry Rosenstein

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/
stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    /      Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com     \
   / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \