Lisa "Finder" Info - 1 of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:56:41 -0700

http://www.stanford.edu/~hodges/Xerox/ReStarDemoAncmt-5-FrankLudolph.txt

> I have included this talk at the end of this message.
>
> The author of this message (David Craig) also wrote a short paper on the
> Lisa GUI for college:
>
> o Apple Lisa Graphical Object-Oriented User Interface
> David Craig, 1987
>
> For a wonderful discussion of the origins and changes in the field of GUIs
> see the following paper which contains a series of comments about this
> area during a demonstration of the Xerox Star in 1998 by many former Xerox
> Star people:
>
> o Xerox's Contribution to the Development of Office Automation
> via the Desktop Metaphor and Distributed Computing Systems
>
> This paper can be found at the following web site:
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/~hodges/Xerox/
>
> Here's one other piece of Lisa Desktop Manager trivia that may interest
> current Macintosh users. If you hold down the Option key while in the
> Macintosh Finder and select the Apple menu, you will see a menu item
> labeled "About the Finder". Selecting this menu item displays a dialog
> with a picture that lists the people behind the Macintosh Finder. You can
> even do this with Macintosh OS 9 which was created in 1999. Wait a while
> and you will see the following credit to the Lisa Desktop Manager:
>
> Lisa Desktop Manager
> 1981-1983
> Dan Smith
> Frank Ludolph
> Bill Atkinson
>
> For a good description of how the Lisa's software in general worked see
> LisaGuide, Apple's interactive tour ofthe Lisa. I have a set of screen
> dumps from this program that are useful if you don't have access to
> LisaGuide.
>
> One other piece of Lisa Desktop Manager history is that the Macintosh
> Finder influenced the design of the Lisa Desktop Manager. Per Bruce Horn
> of the Macintosh Finder team, he showed a mock-up of an object-oriented
> Macintosh Finder from 1980 or 1981 to Bill Atkinson who was working on the
> Lisa team at that time. Bill used the Finder mock-up to devise an
> object-oriented GUI for the Lisa that had at that time a less interactive
> dialog-based interface.
>
> END OF PART 1
>

> Regards,
> David T. Craig

> # David T. Craig -- CyberWolf Inc. -- ACI 4D Developer #5
> # Aspen Plaza, 1596 Pacheco, Suite 203
> # Santa Fe, NM 87505 USA
> # voice 505.983.6463 ext 15 -- fax 505.988.2580
> # dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>