Lisa "Finder" Info - 3a of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:46:35 -0700

> LISA "FINDER" INFO
>
> PART 3a OF 7

> "The Past, Present, and Future of the Macintosh Desktop" in Semaphore
> Signal issue # 26 from March 1986 has the following to say about the
> Desktop Manager's origins and development:
>
> "The Past, Present, and Future of the Macintosh Desktop
>
> To a first-time user, perhaps the most striking thing about the Macintosh
> is
> its use of the desktop metaphor: the folders and other icons intended to
> help make the Macintosh a user-friendly machine. For a perspective on
> where
> those ideas came from, how they were further developed by Apple, and what
> they might lead to in the future, we interviewed Dan Smith, an Apple
> Principal Software Engineer.
>
> Signal: Give us a brief history of your career at Apple.
>
> Smith: I've been at Apple for a little over five years now. I initially
> signed on to the Lisa project to work on what we called the Desktop
> Manager,
> essentially the equivalent of the Finder on the Macintosh. I worked on
> that
> for about two years, until the whole Lisa project was near completion.
> Then
> I became User Interface Coordinator for the Lisa project, then switched to
> consulting role for the Macintosh, since Mac picked up about halfway into
> the Lisa development stage. I took some time off from the Macintosh and
> Lisa
> to start working on some future projects, did that for about nine months,
> then got pressed back into service to do a program development environment
> for the Macintosh, which is what I'm working on right now.
>
> Signal: Were you the desktop programmer? What was the organization
> responsible for the desktop and the other Lisa software?
>
> Smith: The effort was split up into a couple of different groups. There
> was
> the desktop group. Two of us actually did the implementation. I programmed
> the user interface portion, and Frank Ludolph did a fair amount of the
> lower
> level implementation. Then there was the applications group, and that was
> split up into essentially the different applications that came out:
> LisaDraw, LisaWrite, and so on. There was also an operating system group,
> which did the much lower level software.
>
> Signal: How did the ideas for the desktop originate, and how were they
> incorporated into your design?
>
> Smith: That's a pretty interesting story. When I started at Apple, the
> idea
> of the desktop hadn't really quite been born. In fact, it was thought we'd
> do something fairly simple, and it would be a one-person job for a couple
> of
> months and it would be over. It was a little later in the project that we
> realized the desktop was going to be a central part of the entire system.
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>