Lisa "Finder" Info - 5a of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:50:56 -0700

> LISA "FINDER" INFO
>
> PART 5a OF 7
>
> Signal: What's an example of Macintosh taking a step backward?
>
> Smith: A step backward was the "run one program at a time" model. For
> example, you clicked on MacPaint, the entire screen would be cleared, and
> up
> would come something that was totally different than what you had been
> looking at before. The desktop model disappeared on you, and now you were
> running this entirely new program. If you wanted to do any type of filing
> operation, you either had to quit that program, go back to the Finder and
> manipulate your files, or there was this little dialogue box that allowed
> you to search through a list of names as opposed to seeing them in their
> iconic format. On Lisa, you stayed in the desktop the entire time and
> would
> just click on another icon to open it. That would open up a window, but
> you
> would stay in the desktop. You wouldn't get this dramatic state change,
> and
> you also wouldn't have to go from at one point dealing with icons to, at
> another point, dealing with a list of names.
>
> Signal: How much of that step backwards was forced by the hardware
> limitations of the Macintosh? Could the programmers have pulled off a
> multi-application environment like the Lisa?
>
> Smith: That's a tough one. With the 128K of memory available on the
> original
> Macintosh, they really couldn't have pulled it off. But with the 512K
> Macintosh, it was definitely more possible. Now with the Mac Plus, it
> could
> be done quite easily.
>
> Signal: There are a lot of little differences between the Macintosh Finder
> and its predecessor, the Lisa desktop. The Lisa desktop underwent cycles
> of
> consumer testing and design reviews. Is it true the Finder programmers
> were
> influenced by a lot of Lisa features, but ended up doing many things their
> own way just because they wanted to?
>
> Smith: That's fairly accurate. The Macintosh group had much more liberty
> as
> far as the user interface design. They had the opportunity to make little
> tweaks to try to improve on the overall design. It wasn't that the Finder
> was totally unreviewed by anyone other than the programmers, but there was
> definitely more liberty. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The
> programming
> team on the Macintosh was quite a bit smaller. With a smaller group, they
> had an opportunity to have the product be a little bit more consistent,
> because you get more of a single-mindedness to the product. It didn't look
> like it was hatched up by twenty-five different people.
>
> Signal: It's interesting how the Macintosh was able to successfully
> provide
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>