Lisa "Finder" Info - 5b of 7

From: David Craig <dcraig_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:50:58 -0700

> LISA "FINDER" INFO
>
> PART 5b OF 7
>
> Signal: Why did it take so long for LisaDraw and LisaProject to migrate to
> the Macintosh and become MacDraw and MacProject?
>
> Smith: The primary reason was the memory constraints on the Macintosh.
> Most
> of the programs on the Lisa were huge by comparison to other software
> products. Significant recoding had to be done in order to get the products
> moved over to the Macintosh. It takes a long time to program in assembly
> language, or to reorganize your entire program with space a primary
> consideration.
>
> Signal: Didn't anyone realize Apple was trying to get the Macintosh to do
> Lisa-like things? Couldn't you have just put in more memory and saved many
> programmer-years of effort?
>
> Smith: A lot of people said, myself included, before the Macintosh even
> came
> out, that the thing was designed with memory that was way too low. The
> primary motivation there, of course, was to keep the price down. They
> wanted
> the Macintosh to be affordable to the common person. This was going to be
> computer most people could go out and buy. As time went on in the project,
> more and more features were added. They decided to go with a different
> disk
> drive, with different memory, and slightly larger display, so the price
> ended up creeping up out of the reach of the common person, to the $2500
> figure. At that point the memory limitation perhaps wasn't as good of an
> argument as it was earlier, because at that point the memory wasn't the
> dominating cost of the product. So I'd have to agree with you on that one.
> If the Macintosh had initially come out with a larger amount of memory, it
> would have saved significant amounts of time in development.
>
> Signal: Is there any hope for a true, Lisa-like, multi-application desktop
> environment on the Macintosh?
>
> Smith: There certainly is.
>
> Signal: You say that like you're hinting.
>
> Smith: It's sort of like a hint. I know of some outside developments in
> that
> area, outside of Apple. There are a couple of efforts going on there. I
> wouldn't be surprised to see something like that fairly shortly.
>
> Signal: Switcher and the desk accessories have always seemed to be
> somewhat
> desperate attempts to give the Macintosh a Lisa-like environment. Couldn't
> Andy Hertzfeld have made Switcher juggle multiple applications on the
> screen
> at once? It's already executing any application on demand, but idle
> applications are kept off-screen. What if the Switcher's multiple screens
> were shrunk down to icons and saved on a visible background, or occupied
> windows that could be scaled and overlap? The Macintosh could still jump
> [...]

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only $879! Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>

Shop buy.com and save. <http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/ stat?id=O7sajHhUCjc&offerid=13541.10000001&type=1&subid=0>

    / Buy books, CDs, videos, and more from Amazon.com \    / <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/lowendmac> \ - - - - - - - - - -
This message is sent to you because you are subscribed to LisaList.

List archive:           <http://mail.maclaunch.com/lists/>