Spammer headed off at the pass (mostly)

From: Dan Knight <dan_knight_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:18:29 -0400

We got lucky this morning -- someone almost managed to spam nearly every one of these email lists.

A tip of the hat to Kyle Hansen, a member of the G-Books list, who alerted me as soon as he received the one posting that did get through. Fortunately I saw his email this morning (some weekends I try to avoid the computer for a day or two) and went into action.

I discovered that the spammer had begun the subscription process for almost every single list -- from Apple IIs through the G-List. In cases where his subscription was pending, I marked it banned and set it to reject his postings. In the cases where he had not yet begun the subscription process, I preemptively banned him.

I have also reported him to his ISP and the mail servers that processed or relayed his message.

This is the first time in the history of the list someone has pulled this off. I hope it will also be the last. Thanks to the two-step subscription process and Kyle's quick action only one list was subjected to the spam.

Should anything like this happen in the future, please send a note to "listmom_at_email.domain.hidden" so I can deal with it as expeditiously as possible.

Thanks!

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.

  publisher, Low End Mac                <http://lowendmac.com/>
  publisher, Digital-Views.com      <http://digital-views.com/>
  publisher, Digigraphica            <http://digigraphica.com/>

  In a world without walls or fences, who needs windows or gates?