Important notes from Mom

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:26:29 -0500

Good morning (well, it's morning here in Michigan).
  1. My wife is going in for surgery this afternoon. I will be unavailable to do any list management until sometime Thursday.
  2. The list nannies are able to handle subscription and other problems in my absence. They are listed on the FAQs for lists that have nannies. (Only the busier lists have them.)
  3. We've had some discussion on various lists about posting items for sale and linking to eBay auctions. Items for sale should normally be posted to the swap list. Exceptions: Items for sale in Canada, UK, Australia/NZ may be mentioned on those geographic lists and items specific to a list (e.g., Newtons on the Newton list) may be mentioned.

Mention of personal eBay auctions is specifically prohibited on the swap list and discouraged on the other lists. We may be setting an official policy on that in the near future.

4. Due to a situation on one of the lists, I have added one more line to the netiquette page:

"Never post with a fraudulent email address. This is grounds for immediate banning."

5. I am dreaming up a whole new system for managing the lists. If it works, you'll be able to set all your subscriptions to single message, digest, or vacation mode -- and I'll have an easier way to look up and change your address when you don't tell me which list you want to be unsubscribed from or switch to digest mode.

I also anticipate this will allow me to automatically create an online archive, number messages (making it easier to follow threads), and mask archived email addresses to bots won't be able to read them.

This will be a long time coming.

6. As always, if you have any subscription problems, read the FAQ, follow the instructions that come with every message and digest, and contact me at <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden> if you have problems.

7. We're running the third Best of the Mac Web survey on Low End Mac. Full details at

<http://lowendmac.com/botmw/020305.html>

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
<http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com> <http://lowendpc.com>
<http://digital-views.com> <http://digigraphica.com> <http://reformed.net>

I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and what a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization. -- Petronius