Notes from the List Mom

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:13:41 -0400

I've made some changes on the list FAQs, mostly additions and updates. Excepts:
---

To switch to digest mode, follow the instructions in the footer of each posted message. If that doesn't work, contact <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>.
---

Why don't the command addresses work properly?

Short answer: They do -- unless you're using America Online. For reasons known only to AOL, their email client reads a link like <mailto:listmom_at_email.domain.hidden> and pastes everything between the "<" and the ">" into the address field. Of course it doesn't work, despite the fact this is an industry standard.

Sorry, AOL users, you'll just have to remove the "mailto:" from the address manually since America Online refuses to follow convention.
---

The list is set up so selecting "Reply" in your emailer will send a message to the entire list. If you wish to respond individually to the sender of the message, be sure to address your message accordingly. There should be no need to copy messages to both the author and the list, since the author is a member of the list.

When replying, always ask yourself if your reply should go privately to the sender or to the entire list.
---

What topics may *not* be discussed?

The list is short:

This has become a kind and helpful community. Since Mac users range from beginners to gurus, please be tolerant of "dumb" questions, and please don't bait or snipe at each other.
---

I sent a message, but it never appeared. Why?

There are several possible reasons a posting can bounce.

I've learned that some of the experts on any list gain their expertise professionally. For instance, I was the information systems manager for an 85 Mac network. For those who make a living selling equipment or services, we have the following guidelines.

  1. List members may mention the availability of commercial services or products on the list, but no prices. (Individuals may list personal equipment with prices.)
  2. All correspondence regarding services or products should be conducted privately, not on the list.
  3. Neither the publisher nor the list mom makes any claim regarding services or products offered by members of the list.

To simplify things, we set up the Low End Mac Swap List as a place for list members to buy, sell, and trade Mac-related goods.

For the most part, items for sale should be listed on the Swap List, which has over 1,000 subscribers. We make exceptions for the international lists (Australia, Canada, UK), the non-Mac lists (Apple II, Lisa, Newton), and items that would only be of interest to members of a specific list. Keep in mind that the swap list is generally the best place to list items for sale, since it has more subscribers than any of the other lists.

That said, the swap list is a very busy list, and we don't think anyone should have to subscribe just so they can sell a personal item or system, so we do allow posting of items for sale on all lists -- but only when they are specifically related to that list. That means no posting Quadras for sale on the iMac list, for instance.

To avoid this list turning into a swapfest, we restrict subscribers to one such postings per calendar year

We discourage posting links to your eBay and other online auctions, and such postings are explicitly forbidden on the swap list. We also discourage links to other items available through online auctions unless they are unusual and of special interest to that list, such as the Pina tomes covering vintage Macs.
---

Hope this helps keep things going smoothly.

Dan the listmom