More from the list mom

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:18:23 -0400

What about anti-spam services?

We already take the steps necessary to keep spam off our lists. Whatever filtering you do with your email software and your email service is up to you.

That said, we take a dim view of anti-spam services such as Spam Arrest that require the sender of a message to respond to a message from the anti-spam service before allowing the recipient to receive the posting. Such a service inconveniences anyone who posts to the list and is unnecessary.

These are all closed lists, so there is no spam. Only those who have requested a subscription and confirmed their subscription are allowed to post. If that is not good enough for you, please don't inconvenience our members by asking them to jump through hoops to keep your mailbox spam free.

Any subscriber using this kind of anti-spam service will receive one warning. If the situation is not resolved quickly, the subscriber will be banned. The burden should be on the spammers, not innocent list members.

And the following to our netiquette page:

Never send test messages to the list. Test when you have something to say to the list by saying it, not by sending a test message.

And a reminder:

Except for the swap list, all lists are set up so that hitting reply will generate a reply to the list. Because the swap list is not a discussion list, it is set up so that replies go to the original sender, not to the list. (Exception: digest mode.)

Hope this helps thing run more smoothly.

Dan the listmom