From the listmom

From: Dan Knight <listmom_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 08:29:59 -0400

The bad news: lemlists.com was down for nearly a week due to <sarcasm on> our dear friends at Network Solutions. <sarcasm off> The server changed to a new IP address last Saturday, but it took NSI nearly a week to update their records.

This is one reason I refuse to use NSI for domain registration. I've been very happy with aitdomains.com, and I know there are a lot of other good alternatives to NSI.

The good news: lemlists.com has been resolving since Friday, which is more than I can say for all my domains at present. (See snide comments about NSI above.) This means I can finally read email from the lists.

The bad news: I have received digests from Oct. 18 as well as digests dated yesterday, but none in between. I have a request in to the nannies to provide the missing digests if they have them. If they don't, I'll post specific requests to specific lists on Monday. And then I'll have a whole lot of email to wade through.

The good news: We are extending the service period for all current LEMlist account holders by one month as our way of apologizing for this extended outage.

To clarify: the focus of these lists is not specifically hardware or an operating system. The focus of the lists is what we do with our Macs; the name of the list indicates what family of Macs or which OS we are dealing with.

Explicitly off topic items include politics, religion, and pro-Windows postings. Discussion of things like posting etiquette, blogging, and even language are acceptable as long as they are related to our use of Macs (or Lisas, Newtons, Apple IIs on those lists) or our participation in the list. If they go beyond that scope, the nannies will generally step in, label them officially off topic, and ask for an end to discussion.

In the coming week we hope to announce the Low End Mac Network, which will be hosted at lowendmac.net. (Anyone with links to lowendmac.net should change them to lowendmac.com -- they are already broken.)

LEMnet will serve two functions. First, it will be an a la carte alternative to Apple's .mac services. We will offer email accounts, Web space, file storage space, an equivalent to iDisk, and maybe (we're looking into it) WebDAV support for iCal. More details when we have them hammered out.

The second function will be to archive Mac related websites that would otherwise vanish into the ether. We will provide free active archiving for defunct websites to keep valuable information from disappearing. Again, we're working on the details.

We'll post more information at lowendmac.net -- and to the lists -- as it's available.

Low End Mac as a business has not been what I expected. I have been working three days (17 hours) a week at a local camera shop to supplement income from Low End Mac, which is essentially my full time (40-50 hours per week) job.

Sometime in November, I will begin working with a new publisher in the education field. I'll be working 15-20 hours per week, generally M-Th noon until 5:00 pm, which will significantly curtail the amount of time I can spend on LEM during the week. I will be more dependent than ever on the nannies to keep the lists running smoothly.

On the plus side, this job will pay a lot better than retailing cameras. On the minus, it will take me away from LEM more hours during the week. With site income where it is, this is a necessary tradeoff.

Another plus: I won't have to work Saturdays. I can have my weekends back. :-)

--

Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.

 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>
 <http://digital-views.com> <http://digigraphica.com>
 <http://lowendpc.com>          <http://reformed.net>

Microsoft is to software as McDonald's is to beef.