Re: My sick 2/10 => Probably Overcurrent Shutdown

From: macmoni >Scherer <macmoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:33:25 +0100

Hi Jason,

> I have a sick 2/10. When I push the power button, there is a 'whump' ...
definitely your Switching Power Supply is weak, or your Lisa has somewhere a high consumption unit, which leads to that symptom. The "Whump" comes from the PSU trying to power-up, but immediately shuts down due to a high current or high voltage errror. The PSU has two main units: one controls, whether the secondary voltage is between the limits (undervolt or overvolt) and a second, which checks the maximum current.

First try to disconnect the whole disk compartment from voltage, cause this needs very much energy. Try to boot your lisa again.

If it works now, just mail again.

If it doesn't, then additional try to pull out the (or both) mem-board and try to fire your Lisa up again.

the best would be to change the PSU or the whole mainboard-rack - if you have a second, of course.

> ... and found that the 2 large 250v capacitors were slightly bulged,
That's no reason to be worried. I rather would say, it's quite normal. I've seen that in more than 80% of the Lisa PSU and the all work, without a problem

Just give a short note; at this moment there are too many possible errors, so we have to shrink the reasons, why your Lisa only says "Whump" :-)

Tom from Bavaria, the center of Europe, the country with the alps, the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig and the original Octoberfest