Re: Hard drive reformatting and setup

From: macmoni >Scherer <macmoni_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:49:46 +0100

Hi,

you can format your drive.
Just take a short look at some articels in the LisaList approx 4 weeks ago, concerning the identical problem with formatting a Lisa widget drive. BUT as a lot of vintage winchester disk drives become weak as times goes by, you cannot be shure, that this formatting will solve the problem generally.

> I don't have a Macintosh, but do have access to a program called Mac-in-DOS
> that I think I could use to format floppies and get the software copied over
> to them.
You will not have a chance to do the copying by that way. It's very likely, that your IBM Computer does not support the format, cause it's built in floppy drive cannot format the floppies with the appropriate sector- and track density AND I think the software you intend to use could be a little too errorful for this job :-)

It's recommanded to buy an old MacIntosh SE or Plus (which cost less than you might think) and then copy the disk-images you downloaded from the web with DiskCopy to some low density 3,5" Disks. This can be done with Macs, with a build-in 800k Floppy-Drive or a so called 1,44 MB Super-Drive if you use DiskCopy and are able to run with OS 6 up to OS 7.5.3
Do not buy a "new" Mac for this job - although you can do so, cause it's
better to use a Mac than everything else on this planet :-) ... cause the newer Macs don't support low-level formatting and this is exactly, what the Lisa Disks are. There is neither a chance to simply copy the software on a DD formatted DOS, neither a DD formatet HFS Mac Floppy Disk. Lisa uses "a special formatting" to describe it simply now.

greetings TOM from Bavaria, the country of the snowy alps and the marvellous castles of Koenig Ludwig - and of course the original Octoberfest