Re: New owner needs help

From: Nord, Al <Norda_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:46:16 -0500

The miniscribe drives that I have seen were prone to failure because the mechanism would suck in dirt that would stop the platters from moving. There was a guy in Chicago years ago who repaired the mfm miniscribe drives for real cheap. I had done some business with him and he finally told me that he was getting away from repairing these drives. He said that all he did was turn the drive upside down and blast it with compressed air to remove the dust. That usually fixed 99% of the drives. I just tossed 3 working 20 meg 3.5 " miniscribe drives on the 20th of May of this year. I have had them in storage for 15 years and finaly tossed them. Now I see that I could have sold them for good money. Isnt that the way it always goes...