Re: Lisa keeps shutting itself off

From: Jason Perkins <quanda_computing_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:33:54 +0000

>My Lisa indeed has a 1.2A power supply (no idea why Sun Remarketing decided
>to keep it hobbled with the original PSU after they installed a hard drive
>in it...).

__The 1.2 amp PSUs do have a temp sensor in them which will shut the system down if it overheats.

As stated in an earlier post, the second time it shut itself off, it ejected the disk in it's floppy drive, which leads me to believe that shutdown protocols are somehow being initiated here (unless it's a sort of reflex action on the Lisa's part).

__Sounds like thermal protection to me! When you just pull the AC cord from the machine, the disk does not eject, so it sounds like there is some kind of software action going on here.

If it is indeed the power supply, does anyone have an idea where or how I might acquire a proper 1.8A PSU for it?

__Maby ebay, or in a junker 2/10?
I would try turning down the brightness on the back of the machine along with a fan blowing on the PSU. With the brightness lower, there is less load on the PSU.

-J