Re: error 85

From: Dr. Helmut Post <helmut_post_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:58:15 +0100

Hello Phil,

error 85 means: you have reached the hard disk time-out limit... the hard disk hasn't answered within a given time- probably the system track, boot secor is bad . You need a fresh low level format.- or a new drive if the number of bad blocks exceeds 30 counts.

> I have just finished telling the list that I got my SUN REM drive
> working again, and that I thought the cause was overheating
> (Installed a fan). However I still get constant error 85 messages.
>
> If I reinstall 7/7 everything seems fine, for a short while, then
> error 85 starts happening again.

Probably a thermal error with one of the chips ... probably the SMS OMTI 20813B (MFM controller).
Do you have a freezing spray to cool down the chips to locate the error on the controller?
I have the same problems- no way to get these chips today- only if you rip the chips from an Amiga 1000 sidecar (PC-XT hardware expansion box) or form an old Atari ST MFM hard disk controller.

> The SUN REM drive uses a Kalok KL320 (20mb) MFM drive. I guess these
> are getting very old now. Maybe I need to look for another 20mb MFM
> drive to replace the Kalok with. Will any MFM 20mb drive work? For
> example Kyocera KC020, Miniscribe m8425 or Western General WD362.

Yes, you can use all these disks- provided that your controller is ok. I'm testing these MFM hard disks on my old 80486 IBM AT with an Adaptec ACB 2310 MFM controller card.
But: You have to know how to perform a low level format on the SUN controller first!

> Or even better, does an adaptor exist for MFM to IDE? I couldn't find
> one by doing an internet search.

No, there is no such adapter- as far as I know. Choose the IDEFile instead- it's offering full future Widget compatibility as is fully Profile compatible (5 MB and 10MB).

> However, for the life of the machine, I still believe the IDEfile is
> the best option for the future. I should start thinking seriously
> about this option, otherwise 7/7 will be lost to my machine for ever.

Yes, I'll recommend you this controller- it's really great!

Helmut