Re: Photo 1 Help to fix a Lisa error 57

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:03:35 -0400

Ok, so from your pictures, you definitely have a Lisa 2/10. I don't recognize the ASCO label on the floppy drive, mine are all labeled Sony 1984. But hopefully it's a 400K drive as it's labeled 1985. Also the form factor does look like the Sony drives I've seen before.

Can you look at the ROM labels on the I/O board and on the CPU board? That will help get the version numbers. The top leftmost 3 chips on the I/O board are the labels you'll want to get. These are the IWM controller and the ROM the 6504 I/O CPU.

The two ROMs on the CPU board directly under the large 68000 CPU will tell us the ROM version.

The problem is that the 800K versions of the I/O ROM also say 88 (I think, but don't remember) so you can't tell'em apart just from what the Lisa shows on power on.

The ROM's usually have the white paper labels on them. You'd want H for the CPU board, and 88 for the I/O board, but other versions will likely work as well.

Looking at the Lisa boards that I have, here are the chip numbers. Let's see if they match yours (both of the I/O boards are 400K only):

Lisa 2 I/O board (not 2/10) 341-0290B
Lisa 2/10 I/O board (which is what you have): 341-0261D. The IWM chip: 344-0041-A

Lisa 2 CPU ROMS: 341-0175-H and 341-0176-H (The H indicates the H ROM, if you see a D or an F at the end, that's your ROM version.)

XL CPU board Lisa (3A ROM): 341-0347A and 341-0346A. (These are limited to running just the MacWorks line and are also known as the screen modification kit ROMs)

Does anyone know what the 800K floppy I/O ROMs have as a serial #? (I should add this info to the FAQ as well.)

Did cleaning the contacts help any? If that failed, do you know of anyone else nearby that has a 2/10 I/O board that you can swap out in order to test it?

Another thing you can try: if the two VIA chips are socketed on your I/O board (I hope they are), carefully remove them and swap them. If it's a bad VIA, you'll get keyboard and mouse errors instead. VIA's can be still purchased today for around $20-$30, so let's hope that's the problem. If you haven't done this kind of thing before, try to find a junk board that has socketed chips and practice removing and inserting them. You used to be able to buy chip insertion/extraction kits at radio shack. As usual, always do your work on a large anti static bag with a grounded anti-static wrist strap on.

Also, another question, do you have a 1.2A or 1.8A power supply? You'd want the 1.8A power supply since you have a Widget hard drive. (Is the screen display stable or does it wave around? If so, you might also have a weak power supply.)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2006-10-20 16:07:38