Re: Re-Introducing the First, and Fully Functional, Lisa Emulator

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:21:00 -0800

>I'm announcing the availability of The Apple Lisa Emulator.
>
>http://lisaem.sunder.net

Wow!

This is great, and surprising, news.

Although prior emulator releases have managed to achieve a semi-functional implementation of MacWorks, it appears this emulator will be able to run the Lisa Office System, Lisa Workshop, AND MacWorks.

Those that are only moderately familiar with the Lisa hardware and software may not appreciate what a huge task this must have been. The effort required to understand and emulate the custom memory management design and the complex I/O is staggering. I believe this is what stopped previous emulators at the MacWorks stage; going beyond it is a very strenuous undertaking.

>Future releases will have ...

I appreciate that this is an interim/preliminary version, and I hope Ray will soon find the time to fill in the gaps so that we have all the tools necessary to dump EPROMs, install LOS on the emulator, etc.

I think this bodes-well for a Lisa emulator that is actually useful.

Great news, good work, and congratulations!

James

James MacPhail                   "Think not of engineering as art,
uo957_at_email.domain.hidden                 but of art as engineering"
Sigma Seven Systems Ltd.
james_at_email.domain.hidden        <http://SigmaSevenSystems.com>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2007-01-24 19:32:32