Re: Lisa 2/10 power supply keeps blowing fuses, help?

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:26:14 -0700

>the ones that are tuff are the ones that are square, I
>have never had to deal with these kinds so I am a bit confused on the
>right ones to get.

I presume you mean, for example, C1 through C7 on the 1.8Amp DataPower PSU.

These are "across the power line" interference suppression capacitors, and as such are rated/designed for adherence to safety regulations and for operation under the condition of a high AC voltage (which would rapidly overheat some types of capacitors).

Here is a possible list of DigiKey part numbers for 1.8 Amp DataPower PSU primary side capacitor replacements. I believe they fit and work, but use them at your own risk.

C8, C9   P11636-ND
C3, C4   P4629-ND
C1, C7   P4613-ND
C5, C6   P4633-ND
C2       P10730-ND

It is suggested that C1 through C7 should be replaced if they have a transparent case with visible cracks.

Capacitor positions C1 through C7 have more than one set of holes for use of different sizes of capacitor. The above should fit, but might use different holes than the original capacitor on your particular PSU.

When replacing either C8 or C9, replace both if possible.

C8 and C9 are polarized. Note the white + on the component side near the designation. (If you put it in the wrong way, it may explode filling the room with acrid smoke.)

Safety note: C8 and C9 run at the rectified line voltage (170V DC), so you should always:

  1. unplug the PSU and wait a few hours before working on it
  2. check the voltage on the capacitors before removing them; under 10V is probably safe enough.

HTH, James

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2007-04-12 17:28:56