ZFS in OS X? in Linux? was Re: packing disk copy 4.2 disk images for the web?

From: toby <toby_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:05:42 -0700

On Apr 25, 7:58 am, Ray Arachelian <r..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:
> simon wrote:
> > And we don't know what mac osx 10.5 and up will do with forked files...

We do not need to worry about support for forked files disappearing for some time yet.

> Exactly why you want DART.
>
> From what I hear, ZFS is in the works, which is great news as it seems
> to be a very nice file system. Thanks Sun!

It is indeed. I use it under Solaris and recommend following the ZFS mailing list[1] if you want to keep up with the state of the art. Disclaimer: Nobody outside Apple knows when, or if, OS X will ship with ZFS, however.

> It also seems that every
> *BSD/Linux distro plans to also add ZFS or has done so already, so ZFS
> is promising to be a nearly universal file system.

This is overstating the case rather considerably. FreeBSD has initial support for ZFS. No other announcements have been made.

License and philosophical incompatibility, technical issues, and a marked - if bizarre - lack of interest in ZFS among kernel developers, preclude the possibility of ZFS in Linux any time soon, and nobody has announced anything. There is a ZFS port project which runs under FUSE (not in kernel), but it's hardly ready for prime time (and may never be truly production suitable). For more discussion of the difficulties, see the mailing list.

That said, ZFS is the state of the art, and you can always run it under Solaris 10, Solaris Express or Open Solaris. Plus you get all the other unique features of Solaris, such as zones, and integrated support (if you buy one of Sun's world-beating servers to go with it).