Lisa Fans (was Re: Question about Sun Rem SCSI card)

From: James MacPhail <gg__at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:48:56 -0700

>pic of card cage fan installed

  <http://www.lisa2.com/XLerator.html>

(Thanks for the pics Rick!)

Although the added card cage fan is in a position that will cool the memory boards, AFAIK they do not require anything more than convection cooling.

The primary purpose of the card cage fan is to cool the XLerator. It was required for the original 16 MHz XLerator and the XLerator 18. It is not usually required for the XLerator 12.5, but if the ambient temperature is high it would be a good idea.

>All of this leads me to believe that it is prudent to have forced cooling
>(a fan) with the Lisa, contrary to what I've read elsewhere

I believe that nearly any electronic device that runs hot will last longer with additional cooling. My rule of thumb is that any part that is "too hot to hold your finger on" needs more cooling. That threshold is about 50 degrees celcius and seems to be fairly consistent from person to person.

As Ray said, the power supply seems to be the most vulnerable item in the Lisa, so I try to always have a fan cooling it.

Since the cooling effect of moving air is in proportion to the square of the velocity (IIRC), even a very gentle (and thus quiet) airflow makes a big difference in temperature for something that was originally convection cooled.

I see that this thread has gone way off subject, so I have changed the subject line to make the archives more useful.

HTH, James

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- Received on 2008-07-27 13:51:55