Lisa 2/10 widget drive problems ..

From: Stephen M. Jones <smj_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:27:44 -0500 (CDT)

> One thing I wasn't clear about... is this hard drive an internal
> (Widget) or an external (ProFile)?

This is the internal 10MB widget drive.

I'm not sure I have the proper xenix images, but I will give that a shot.

> The Lisa detects the ProFile/Widget drive by a single pin (Open Cable
> Detect), so even though the Lisa POST can see the drive, it might not be
> able to talk to it. So check the cable.

Ahh, okay. Both the drive and the widget board have an LED each. I'm assuming the POST is the initial test that runs when the LISA is turned on.

Here is what happens when I turn on the LISA:

  1. The widget board LED flashes and the drive LED lights up briefly.
  2. The drive then spins up and then, it flashes as it calibrates then it goes solid
  3. If I try to boot off the hard disk, the widget LED will flash, then the drive will seek/head calibrate, then the widget LED will flash again .. then the lisa goes 'beep, beep, beep' error 82.

If I continue and boot off the floppy, when I select either 'repair' or 'install' I get the message "the lisa is looking for attached disks", the LEDs just remain solid and the drive does not seek .. then I get a message "no usable drives were found"

So it would seem that the Lisa POST (if that is what the test is called) seems to be able to see the disk, but because of error '82' (anyone know what that might be?) that it can not find a boot image.

Oh, google just told me what an '82' is: 82 Internal HD Drive doesn't answer

Now as far as the LisaOS disk 1 doing nothing with the internal disk, I'm at a loss. I've already tried taking out the drive and checking the cables, what I could do next is take it apart and check the components (just to be sure no one assumes this, I'm not going to *open* the drive).

Hopefully I can recover this piece of hardware without having to replace it.