Re: Help to fix a Lisa error 57

From: Ray Arachelian <ray_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 06:48:38 -0400

Patrick Symes wrote:
> Also I forgot to tell that I also get a error 82 with the internal
> hard drive (Drive doesn't answer).
> Any ideas of the two issues?

Yeah, sounds like something is loose. 82 means the same as 57, but in regards to the hard drive: a timeout. Error 82 means "Hard Drive Doesn't Answer."
http://lisafaq.sunder.net/lisafaq-hw-rom_error_codes.html

It's unlikely that both the floppy and the hard drive would have the same exact issue. So as James said, it's likely something is loose or in need of cleaning. What both of these have in common are: the I/O board and the mating connectors on the motherboard. Perhaps something is loose, or oxidized. Try cleaning the contacts as James suggested.

If that doesn't work, let's try this line of thought:

Also, may I ask about the I/O board, since you have an internal Widget hard disk, the answer is you probably have a Lisa 2/10, so this is likely to be no, but does your I/O board have a pack of batteries on it, or look like it had batteries that were removed? If yes, then can you look for any trace damage on the I/O board? Also, does your Lisa have an external parallel connector, or instead does it have an interrupt switch along with a reset switch?

What I'm trying to determine is whether this really is a 2/10 or if it's been put together from non-matching parts. :-) If it's really a 2/10, the odds are that you can clean the cables and connectors and it will probably work. If it's not, and you're using a 2/10's I/O board, it might be difficult to get it working.

The normal Lisa 2 I/O board should have ROM version A8. The 2/10's I/O board should have ROM version 88. So on power on, do you see in the upper right corner of the menu bar a letter such as "H" and then a few seconds later 88 or A8?

(I ask because I have a Hacken-Lisa myself, that I couldn't fix until I used a normal Lisa 2 I/O board instead of the 2/10.)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "LisaList" group. To post to this group, send email to lisalist_at_email.domain.hidden To unsubscribe from this group, send email to lisalist-unsubscribe_at_email.domain.hidden For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/lisalist -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

y you
know
you have it right is to take the CD and mount it on any OpenVMS box. Then run ANALYZE/DISK against it and also BACKUP/COMPARE against the original.

The final result is an ISO9660 CD that VMS will be able to mount natively
(with all protection attributes etc. preserved). Burn everything twice: CDs are cheap and your time probably is not). If I were doing this now I'd probably burn the images (as files) to DVDs ... less to store ... and
only then burn individual CDs for the things I really wanted to access under VMS right now.

Once you get into the swing of things, you'll find that the most time consuming part is amassing the data ready to write. In which case you might wish to unpack the BACKUP savesets, ZIP up the various trees and FTP the zip files over to be burnt as ordinary ISO9660 files. This is obviously only really applicable where the files make sense off-VMS. Obviously the savesets that make up say OpenVMS V7.1 VAX are not going to
be of much use anywhere other than on an OpenVMS box.

If you have data that makes sense both under VMS and elsewhere, you can burn a hybrid ISO9660/ODS-2 CD where the data is stored once but available
under both "personalities". This takes a little more effort and an Alpha.
It really only makes sense for common-format binaries (e.g. PDF) and text
(e.g. HTML). I did this a few years ago for some manuals and such that I wanted to access both on an Alpha and a PC.

As you'll now have a bunch of disk images lying around on a PC, you could fire up SIMH VAX (with VMS) and mount them to check them out there too. This way you can get at your data even after you've forgotten where your uVAX 3100 has been stored.

Antonio Received on 2006-10-19 06:56:56