Re: Fwd: Transporting a Profile Drive

From: snhirsch <snhirsch_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:53:59 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 12:25 pm, Terry Stewart <te..._at_email.domain.hidden> wrote:

> One last thing.  Does a Profile drive do it's self-test even if it's not
> plugged into a Lisa?  More specifically, does the seek light come on.

Yes, it should if physically disconnected from the Lisa. On power-up, the drive waits a bit for the disk speed to stabilize. Then, it reads every track on the disk. You should hear a little "tunk, tunk, ..." sound as it steps, accompanied by the LED flickering. At the end of a successful test, it seeks back to the innermost track (parking area) and leaves the LED illuminated.

Is this a 5 or 10M unit? For some reason, the mortality rate on 10M units seems higher - but that may just be my luck :-)