Fwd: Transporting a Profile Drive

From: Terry Stewart <terry_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 06:25:29 +1300

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

One last thing. Does a Profile drive do it's self-test even if it's not plugged into a Lisa? More specifically, does the seek light come on.

This one I'm buying spins up but the seek light doesn't appear. The seller doesn't have a working Lisa to test it on (death by battery acid).

Even if broken I might buy it just for asthetics but I'd be interested in you comments about the lights.

Terry (Tez)

Yes, you don't want to move the stepper motor with the disk not spinning. The spinning disk creates a bubble of air pressure that the read heads float on, scraping them across the disk with it off could damage them.

-Jason