Damaged? ProFile Drive Motor

From: Tom Frikker <tom.frikker_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:21:25 -0800 (PST)

I know that repairing ProFile Drives can be a tedious and difficult endeavor, but I thought I'd post my two drive's symptoms here just to see if anyone had any answers.
The drive, when powered on, spins up and gets pretty loud with a spinning noise; also, there is a sandy noise when the drive spins (almost like sand caught in a motor, if you understand what I'm saying), plus a high-pitched squealing sound. The drive eventually starts to check its disks; the light blinks and I hear the stepper? motor moving, which sounds fine. After a while, the drive does come to a solid red light. I don't have a working Lisa (yet) with which to test this drive, but even though it gets to the red light and "seems" like it's ready to boot, the mechanical parts of the drive just don't sound healthy (it makes me cringe when I listen to the drive spinning up because I'm worried that I'm damaging it). I opened up the drive today and took out the controller board. Underneath, where there's a big drum-like contraption that spins, a bunch of fine black dust had settled on everything. I cleanly blew out the dust that I could and cleaned as much of the rest as I could with a swab and alcohol. After re-assembly, the drive still sounds the same. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?