Re: Damaged? ProFile Drive Motor

From: Simon Claessen <simski_at_email.domain.hidden>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:41:47 +0100

one of my lisas made the sound of a F16 taking off when first plugged in. I the took teh drive out of its cage and put in on its side for a few hours. while the drive was running, it became quieter all the time. I think the oil and greese just melted its way back in to the bearings.

it has been working flawlessly ever since

On 31-12-13 03:21, Tom Frikker wrote:
> I know that repairing ProFile Drives can be a tedious and difficult
> endeavor, but I thought I'd post my two drive's symptoms here just to
> see if anyone had any answers.
> The drive, when powered on, spins up and gets pretty loud with a
> spinning noise; also, there is a sandy noise when the drive spins
> (almost like sand caught in a motor, if you understand what I'm saying),
> plus a high-pitched squealing sound. The drive eventually starts to
> check its disks; the light blinks and I hear the stepper? motor moving,
> which sounds fine. After a while, the drive does come to a solid red
> light. I don't have a working Lisa (yet) with which to test this drive,
> but even though it gets to the red light and "seems" like it's ready to
> boot, the mechanical parts of the drive just don't sound healthy (it
> makes me cringe when I listen to the drive spinning up because I'm
> worried that I'm damaging it). I opened up the drive today and took out
> the controller board. Underneath, where there's a big drum-like
> contraption that spins, a bunch of fine black dust had settled on
> everything. I cleanly blew out the dust that I could and cleaned as much
> of the rest as I could with a swab and alcohol. After re-assembly, the
> drive still sounds the same. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

> ---
> Groups "LisaList" group.
> an email to lisalist+unsubscribe_at_googlegroups.com.

Met vriendelijke Groet,

Simon Claessen
drukknop.nl